Summer training blog from Greak Oaks (CA) rising junior Destiny Collins, who runs for one of the top cross country programs in the country. Collinswas a California state runner-up in the 1600 and ran a 4:45 personal best this past spring along with three sub 10:20 races at the two mile/3200 meter distance. She was the top finisher for her 8th place NXN squad last December in Portland with a 34th place individual showing at Nike Cross Nationals.
Here are the top 10 XC incoming juniors in California.
The quartet of Teahna Daniels (FL), Ariana Washington (CA), Jada Martin (GA), and Kaylin Whitney (FL) brought home gold for the United States in the first relay finals of the World Junior Championships with a World Junior leading time of 43.46. Watch their gold medal winning race video above and post-race video interview below.
Here are the top 10 XC incoming sophomore in California.
Watch the race video of women's 100 meter dash finals from the 2014 IAAF World Junior Championships.
It was a surprise to see Madeline Price come through the mixed area wearing a Team Canada singlet. The California 400 state runner-up and MileSplit US All-American has dual citizenship through her parents both being being natives and born in Canada. She had a successful first round of the 400 meter dash trials posting a time of 53.86 to finish second in heat and automatically move onto the semi-finals.
The two All-Americans both were heat winners in the 110 meter hurdles with California state champ Misana Viltz of Millikan High School taking heat 2 with a 13.59 clocking and University of Kentucky freshmen Nick Anderson (competed in Florida for high school) winning heat 3 with a 13.61 performance. Viltz, the US #2 ranked high school hurdler in the country, is in good position to compete for a top 3 medal if he can make it through the next round of the 110 meter hurdles.
Here are the top returning runners from the 2013 California XC state meet.
Effective with the 2015 high school track and field season, the prohibition of jewelry will be eliminated. This was one of several rules changes recommended by the National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS) Track and Field Rules Committee at its June 16-18 meeting in Indianapolis. The committee’s recommendations were subsequently approved by the NFHS Board of Directors.
Mackenna Howard and Stamatia Scarvelis were two of California's best in the throws this past outdoor season and they put out marks in the shot that ranked among the nation's best to give them the deserving All-American honor by MileSplit this past weekend in the girls shot to be recognized among the nation's 8 best.
Long Beach Poly's Ariana Washington was one of 8 individuals nationally that have been selected to the MileSplit All-American Team in the girls 100 meter dash from the 2014 outdoor season as they have been chosen by MileSplit as the 8 best national performers in their event from this past spring.
Jeremy Franklin heads to UCSB in the fall after a great spring and summer in the shot, discus, and hammer.
The Cal Golden Bears will once again bring a strong track and field recruiting class to Berkeley in the fall of 2014.
Braheme Days and Amir Patterson finish 1-2 in the shot put at the USATF Junior Championships (via uclabruins.com).
- real advice for scholarship offers
- college eligibility of high school track athlete who DOES NOT want to compete for their high school
- Article Comment: 55th Annual Golden West Invitational Field Events Preview
- Adoree Jackson DQ
- University of Mobile Track & Field/Cross Country
- Scholarships for Distance Runners, Point University (Georgia)
- Bob Frick Sprint Invitational 2014
- Cottey College XC/Track
- App for estimating performance in other events
- Cal Berkeley All Comers #2 2014
- Alycea Heredia to Point University
- Shelby Garritson to Point University
- Steven Velarde to California State University, Chico
- Alex Burkhart to California State University, Chico
- Victor Bennett to California State University, Chico
- Rebecca Guadiana to Point University
- Michael Good to California State University, Chico
- Michelle Gonzales to Dominican University of California
- Yajaira Zarate to California State University, Chico
- Veronica Garcia to California State University, Chico