Fan votes advanced 16 girls into the second round of the MileSplitCA poll tournament to determine the greatest combo distance runner of the past decade. Among those advancing are (from left) Mariah Castillo, Kristin Fahy and Anna Maxwell. (Credit: Scott Padgett/Frank Bellino/Kirby Lee-Image of Sport)
What Is This?
This is a poll tournament where your votes determined the greatest distance runner of the past decade. We're starting with the ladies. The launch of a poll tournament for the lads is tentatively scheduled for later this week.
We originally selected 32 females based on combined distance times, ranked them in groups, placed them in a bracket of head-to-head matchups where your poll votes determined who advanced. There are 16 poll winners from the first round matched up for this, the second round.
Athletes included are from the period between 2010 and 2019. This is based only on track times and results without regard to XC. Runners were selected based on top 800/1600, 1600/3200 and 800/3200 combined rankings within the decade, as well as State Meet results. Single-distance-event specialists that do not rank among the top tier of either of the three combined event PR options, did not make the original 32. As a result, all 1600m and 3200m State Meet champions in the decade are included but not all 800m champions. The final cut to 32 was subjective.
Go to the next page where only your votes will determine who advances. Voting in this round will close Wednesday at noon.--
Second-Round Runner Bios
- Alli Billmeyer (Torrey Pines/SD) - Her 4:41.54 is a top-six time in the decade for 1600m and 10:18.71 over 3200m ranks 26th for the period. State runner-up for 1600m in both 2010 and 2011. Placed fourth for 3200m in 2011. Ran 800m PR of 2:09.94.
- Rylee Bowen (Sonoma Academy/NC) - PRs of 4:43.92 for 1600m and 10:13.20 for 3200m both rank among the top 17 for the decade and that combined time ranks 13th. Among only nine girls to have both 1600m and 3200m PRs rank among the top 17 during the decade.
- Destiny Collins (Great Oak/SS) - Her 3200m time of 9:53.79 to win the State title in 2015 ranks CA No. 5. Her 4:40.34 for 1600m ranks 12th all time. State runner-up for 1600m in 2014 and 2015, and placed third in 2016. State runner-up for 3200m in 2016 and fourth in 2014. Top 8/32 combined time in the decade and third-best among 8/16 combo times.
- Mariah Castillo (Saugus/SS) - Ranks third in the decade for combined 8/32 times and eighth on the 8/16 combo list. PRs of 4:39.77c and 10:06.47 rank third and eighth, respectively, in the decade. Her 8/32 combined time ranks third in the decade.
- Maddy Denner (Oak Ridge/SJ) - Her 3200m PR of 10:01.02 ranks fourth in the decade and ninth in CA history. Her 1600m of4:42.77 ranks 12th in the decade. Two time State Meet 1600m champion (4:44.89 in 2017 and 4:442.77 in 2018) and two time State Meet 3200m runner-up (2017-18).
- Haley Dorris (Great Oak/SS) - Her PRs of 4:44.60 and 10:17.63 slots her as one of only 11 girls with 1600m and 3200m PRs that both rank among the top 22 within the decade. Placed fourth at the 2014 State Meet for 1600m and ninth in the 3200m that year.
- Jacqueline Duarte (Chino Hills/SS) - Ran her 1600m PR of 4:42.45 as a sophomore to win the State title in 2019. Placed fourth as a freshman in 2018. Her 1600m PR ranks 10th in the decade and 21st in state history.
- Kristin Fahy (La Costa Canyon/SD) -Three-time State Meet finalist for 3200m including the 2019 champion running her PR of 10:11.38. Placed fourth in 2018 and 10th in 2017. Ran 1600m PR of 4:48.34 and ranks 16th on the 16/32 combo list.
- Amanda Gehrich (Tesoro/SS) - Two-time State Meet 1600m champion. Her 4:38.63 ranks fifth all-time for 1600m. State Meet champion for the four-lap race in 2015 (4:49.33) and in 2016 (4:45.51). Placed second in the 1600m in 2014 and 10th in 2013. Also placed sixth in consecutive years for 3200m (2015-16).
- Nikki Hiltz (Aptos/CC) - Ran her 1600m PR of 4:42.45 to win the 2012 State title a year after placing third. She placed second for that distance in 2013. Ranks fifth with a sub-6:52 8/16 combo and 11th for 8/32 combo times.
- Bethan Knights (Northwood/SS) - Her 9:50.10 converted 3200m PR from 2014 is best of the decade and No. 2 AT in CA history. Her 4:42.29 PR for 1600m ranks eighth in the decade. State Meet 3200m champion in 2014 (10.00.19).
- Claudia Lane (Malibu/SS) - She ranks third in the decade on the 16/32 combined list based heavily on her 9:57.52 PR for 3200m. State Meet champion for 3200m in 2017 (10:07.33). Posted 1600m PR of 4:46.06. Her 3200m time ranks No. 3 in the decade and No. 6 in state history.
- Meagen Lowe (Buchanan/CS) - Has PRs of 4:43.61 and 10:12.78. Three-time State Meet finalist including placing second for 1600m and third for 3200m to help lead Buchanan to the 2019 team title. One of only seven girls with 1600m and 3200m PRs that both rank among the top 15 within the decade.
- Anna Maxwell (San Lorenzo Valley/CC) - Both PRs, 4:41.63 and 10:04.81 rank seventh in the decade. State Meet 1600m champion in 2013 (4:47.33). Placed second in the 800m in 2014 (2:08.32 PR), third in the 3200m in 2013 and sixth for the eight-lapper in 2012. Also reached the 1600m final in 2014 (placing 11th). Top 8/16 combo runner in the decade and No. 2 for 8/32.
- Fiona O'Keeffe (Davis/SJ) - State 3200m champion in 2016 (10:10.02) and eight-lap runner-up in 2015 (10:01.14). Also qualified for the State 3200m final in 2013. Combined PR times of 4:45.68 and 10.00.85 rank third for 16/32 in the decade. Her 3200m PR ranks fourth in the decade and is the No. 8 performance in CA history.
- Olivia O'Keeffe (Davis/SJ) - Her PRs of 4:42.71 for 1600m and 10:11.28 for 3200m rank 11th and 12th, respectively, in the decade. Two-time State Meet runner-up for 1600m (2017-18) and earned a third-place medal at 3200m in 2018.