SECTION SHOWDOWN VIRTUAL CHALLENGE
- The competition matches the all-time marks in one section against those in another using dual meet scoring and individual event participation rules.
- There are six sections that range between 101 and 198 schools: Central, San Diego, Los Angeles, Central Coast, North Coast, Sac-Joaquin. Those are the six in the dual meet competition.
- There are three sections with a combined total of just 105 schools: San Francisco, Oakland, Northern. Those sections don't have the depth of athletes to be able to compete in this event. Sorry, but they are not part of the dual meet tournament.
- And then there's the Southern Section, which includes 37 percent of the schools in the state. We have something special lined up down the road to involve the beast that is our friends in the SS.
- Meets are held at neutral sites on a perfect 70-degree evening with no wind. Scoring is based on the best all-time marks from each section. Times may be converted. Altitude is not a factor.
- Sections are limited to three entries per event and athletes are limited to four individual events. Dual and double-dual meet scoring is 5-3-1 for 1st through 3rd with a 5-0 score for both relays. There is separate competition for boys and girls.
- Meets are presented in order of events with updated scoring after each event. The approximate conclusion of each field event is slotted throughout the track event schedule.
- If only this could happen for real!
GIRLS: Central Coast Section vs. San Diego Section
A bit of a surprise here as an unsung Crawford team, that won the 1977 title at the State Meet, ran 45.91 to nip Mt. Pleasant's 46.05 clocked some 30 years later. Score: SD 5, CC 0. Running score: SD 5, CC 0.
Torrey Pines' Alli Billmeyer (4:41.54 in 2011) collected a photo-finish win over San Lorenzo Valley's Anna Maxwell (4:41.63 in 2014) in what would prove the closest race of the day. Aptos' Nikki Hiltz (4:42.45 in 2012) was a half-step behind. Score: SD 5, CC 4. Running score: SD 10, CC 4.
Woodside's Wendy Brown ranks second all-time in the state with her 6-2.25 in 1984, so first place was secured. Carlsbad's Sue McNeal (6-1 in 1979) jumped over St. Ignatius' Jenna Grimalso (6-0 in 2001) for second. Score: CC 6, SD 3. Running score: SD 13, CC 10.
The problem here for the San Diego Section is Sweetwater's Gail Devers ran a 30-inch hurdle so her times don't count. In high school it might not have mattered anyway as Mt. Pleasant's Vashti Thomas (13.03 in 2007), Silver Creek's Jazlynn Shearer (13.36 in 2019) and Piedmont Hills' Reonna Collier (13.47) took full advantage to sweep. Score: CC 9, SD 0. Running score: CC 15, SD 13.
That Wendy Brown girl is doing it again just as she did in the 1984 State Meet in the L.A. Coliseum. Here she jumped 20-9.75 to beat Devers (20-07 in 1984) and Carlmont's Annette Coleman (20-7 in 1989), who tied for second. Score: CC 7, SD 2. Running score: CC 22, SD 15.
No doubt about the outcome here as Morse's Monique Henderson, the all-time state leader at 50.74 in 2000, powered away from Mills' Leslie Maxie (52.83 in 1984) and Menlo School's Madeline Price (53.20 in 2014) for the win. Score: SD 5, CC 4. Running score: CC 27, SD 20.
Valley Christian's Elena Bruckner stands third all-time in state with her 186-10 in 2016 and although she was far behind, Mt. Miguel's Laulauga Tausaga (167-3 in 2016) prevented a 1-2 finish with Carmel's Darlene Tulua (165-10 in 1996) picking up the third. Score: CC 6, SD 3. Running score: CC 33, SD 23.
Mt. Pleasant's Jeneba Tarmoh (11.24 in 2006) roared away from teammate Sani Roseby (11.42 in 1999), who leaned in to edge Oceanside El Camino's Jasmine Gibbs (11.43 in 2012). The Central Section is picking up steam. Score: CC 8, SD 1. Running score: CC 41, SD 26.
The '70s come through in a big way as Camden's Ann Reagan (2:04.37 in 1977) and Fremont's Francie Larrieu (2:05.9 in 1970) join Menlo School's Libby Jenke (2:07.57) to make it a sweep and nearly double San Diego's score. Score: CC 9, SD 0. Running score: CC 50, SD 26.
Valley Christian's Elena Bruckner, the all-time state leader at 54-7 in 2016, makes it a weight event sweep. Mission Bay's Kathy Devine (49-6 in 1974) and Mt. Miguel's Laulauga Tausaga (48-3.50) keep the damage to a minimum. Score: CC 5, SD 4. Running score: CC 55, SD 29.
Multi-event athletes are making this meet a runaway as Mills' Leslie Maxie (40.18 in 1984) and Piedmont Hills' Reonna Collier (40.90 in 2014) fly to a 1-2 finish as Cathedral Catholic's Dani Johnson prevented a sweep (41.30 in 2015). Score: CC 8, SD 1. Running score: CC 63, SD 30.
Although San Diego has a great history in this event, the Central Coast Section is even better with Castilleja's Tori Anthony (14-1.25 in 2007) and Pacific Collegiate's Erika Malaspina (13-9 in 2016) leading a 1-2 sweep over Rancho Bernardo's Ashley Callahan (13-6 in 2019) and Westview's Kortney Ross (13-6 in 2010) to clinch the title. Score: CC 8, SD 1. Running score: CC 71, SD 31.
This would be SD's last hurrah with Lincoln's Jackie Thompson (23.08 in 1973) and Morse's Monique Henderson (23.16 in 2001) going 1-3 with Mt. Pleasant's Jeneba Tarmoh (23.14 in 2006) sandwiched in between. Score: SD 6, CC 3. Running score: CC 74, SD 37.
The trio of Del Mar's Cory Schubert (10:04.2 in 1983), San Lorenzo Valley's Anna Maxwell (10:04.81 in 2014) and San Lorenzo Valley's Alejandra Barrientos (10:11.10 in 2000) are as good as anyone anywhere forming a 1-2-3 sweep. Score: CC 9, SD 0. Running score: CC 83, SD 37
Remember Mt. Pleasant's Vashti Thomas and Woodside's Wendy Brown? They're at it again with Thomas (43-1.50 in 2008) edging Brown (42-10.50 in 1984). In a normal dual meet, a tie for third between Leigh's Hawa Kamara (41-8.25) and Mt. Miguel's Jackie Anderson (41-8.25 in 1987) would go to the second -best mark but we'll give each a half-point. Score: CC 8.5, SD 0.5. Running score: CC 91 ½, SD 37 ½.
Piedmont Hills makes it a dominant win for the Central Coast Section with its 3:41.14 in 2013, demolishing Cathedral Catholic's 3:47.63 in 2015. Score: CC 5, SD 0.
- FINAL SCORE: CC 96.5, SD 37.5
- Next: Central Section vs. North Coast Section, boys
- State Records Source
Photos by Clark Kranz, Kirby Lee/Image of Sport, DeAnna Turner